Leading a team of federal staff and contractors supporting the corporate (www and intranet) web presence for the United States Patent and Trademark office. Working on improving processes and procedures for distributed publishing of USPTO's web content. Upgrading Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 for the main corporate website. Implemented Roller blogging software for www.uspto.gov with master - master mysql database back-end.
- Geographic load balancing leveraging USPTO's data centers achieved 99.99903% uptime over more than a year.
- Replaced Documentum Web Publisher with Drupal for www.uspto.gov while moving to geographically dispersed web servers.
- Replaced unamanaged intranet content with Subversion managed content for versioning and authorization.
- Implemented Documentum Web Publisher for www.uspto.gov.
- Led a team of Internet Application Developers in improving uptime for AARP.org; achieved 5 nines for 2005.
- Led the implementation and subsequent upgrade of Zope Content Management System which provided distributed, role-based web authoring and publishing within an approved design and navigation scheme.
- Customized and integrated an MIT Media Lab developed electronic publishing system as a community publishing tool.
- Migrated multiple web sites from a single Alpha (Tru64) server to geographically dispersed web farms of Intel (Linux) servers providing increased scalability, reliability and disaster tolerance.
- Designed and implemented a custom Content Management System for AARP's Research Center which provided consistent design and navigation to that web site.
- Chief, Website Management Branch — United States Patent and Trademark Office, Alexandria, VA: 2010 - present
- Webmaster — United States Patent and Trademark Office, Alexandria, VA: 2008 - 2010
- Consultant specializing in Internet Technologies and Open Source Solutions: 2007 - 2008
- Director, Internet Technology — AARP Services, Inc, Washington, DC: 2004 - 2007
- Manager, Web Technology — AARP Services, Inc, Washington, DC: 2002 - 2004
- Senior Web Developer — AARP Services, Inc, Washington, DC: 2001 - 2002
- Senior Web Developer — AARP, Washington, DC: 1999 - 2001
- Research Technologist — American Association of Retired Persons, Washington, DC: 1998 - 1999
- Systems Analyst — American Association of Retired Persons, Washington, DC: 1996 - 1998
- Photographer — American Association of Retired Persons, Washington, DC: 1994 - 1996
- English Instructor — Centro Panamericano de Idiomas, Heredia, Costa Rica: 1992 - 1993
- Computer Programmer — contract: 1989 - present
- Chief Photographer— King Broadcasting, Washington, DC Bureau: 1989 - 1991
- Photographer — King Broadcasting, Washington, DC Bureau: 1984 - 1989
- B.A. from The Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA.: studied Film and Video Production: 1981 - 1984
- Virginia Commonwealth University Mass Communications major: 1980 - 1981
- Whitewater canoeing
- Photography, primarily family and friends